Man Gets Pretrial Diversion for Child Cruelty After Punching Teenage Tesla Driver
On November 18, William David Eskelin-Leaton, 37, was granted a pretrial diversion agreement for a count of child cruelty.
The agreement states, "It [is] being alleged that you have committed an offense against the State of Florida… Abuse of a child, and it further appearing after an investigation of the offense and into your background, that at this time, the interest of the State of Florida, and your interest will best be served by [this agreement]. Therefore, on the authority of Brian S. Kramer, State Attorney, in and for the Eighth Judicial Circuit, Alachua County, Florida, prosecution in this matter for said violation will be deferred for the period of 18 [months] from this date, provided that you abide by the [agreement].”

The incident occurred on May 19 when the 16-year-old victim was in his white Tesla at the end of a neighborhood after leaving his friend’s house. While stopped at a stop sign, a white Jaguar SUV pulled up in front of him, impeding his ability to leave. The victim told Alachua County Sheriff's Office (ACSO) deputies that Eskelin-Leaton was yelling at him for speeding through the neighborhood. After exiting the Tesla, Eskelin-Leaton punched the victim in the face, causing him to lose consciousness and leaving him with a swollen left eye.
A neighbor on the phone with the victim during the incident soon after witnessed Eskelin-Leaton pull into his driveway and reported him to police.
After being read his Miranda rights, Eskelin-Leaton reportedly stated he was “angry with the victim for always speeding through the neighborhood.” Eskelin-Leaton stated he decided to follow the victim to “get a license plate.”
Eskelin-Leaton was released from the Alachua County Jail on a $15,000 bond shortly after his arrest with conditions to not have contact with the victim or any minors, prompting his lawyers, Caleb Kenyon and Andrew McCain, to submit a pretrial release modification motion so he could have contact with his children.
The motion states, “While the alleged victim is a minor, nothing in the incident would suggest any additional concern for children. In fact, the entire case arose from the alleged victim's driving pattern—typically an item associated with an adult or late teen bordering on adulthood, as was the case here… Ironically, the context of the entire case arose from Mr. Eskelin-Leaton's alarm at the alleged victim recklessly driving past Mr. Eskelin-Leaton's young child. While this case is still early in litigation, Mr. Eskelin-Leaton's goals remain consistent: protect his family. He now asks the Court to allow him to continue to do so by living at home with his wife and children.” The motion was granted by Judge David Kreider without opposition from prosecutors.

Eskelin-Leaton was initially charged with burglary with assault or battery by police, but when formally filing the case, prosecutors dropped the count and charged him with child cruelty.

Under the conditions of his pretrial diversion agreement, Eskelin-Leaton cannot contact the victim and will be required to complete an anger management program, among other conditions such as abstaining from drugs and alcohol and not possessing firearms.
According to a 2021 ACSO arrest report, Eskelin-Leaton was previously a victim to a crime that is similar to the one he perpetuated. Deputy Steven Pillar reported the following:
"On [July 12, 2021], I responded to the area of 7600 W. Newberry Rd. in reference to a physical fight occurring in the roadway. Upon arrival, multiple deputies saw the defendant, Joshua Orton and the victim, William Eskelin-Leaton engaged in a physical altercation next to [Eskelin-Leaton's] vehicle.
[Eskelin-Leaton], advised there was a road-range incident that occurred on W. Newberry Rd. near 91st St. traveling eastbound. The events culminated in the vehicles making contact near 7600 W. Newberry Rd.
[Orton] got out of his vehicle while parked directly in front of the victim and approached [Eskelin-Leaton's] vehicle. [Eskelin-Leaton], along with multiple independent witnesses advised [Orton] began to strike [Eskelin-Leaton's] driver's side window with closed fists and [pulled] at [his] door handle.
There is video evidence of [Orton] standing at [Eskelin-Leaton's] vehicle appearing to strike the window then a physical altercation begins.
At that time, [Eskelin-Leaton] opened his door to create space and attempt to get [Orton] away from him. [Orton] pulled open the door and appears to grab [Eskelin-Leaton] around his waist, at which time [he] began to protect himself by placing [Orton] in a modified head lock.
Multiple witnesses, along with [Eskelin-Leaton], completed sworn statements.
Post Miranda, [Orton] stated he approached [Eskelin-Leaton] to get his insurance information and to relay that he had his daughter in the vehicle and didn't appreciate his dangerous driving. He also denied intending to enter the vehicle.
[Orton] is charged burglary with battery."
Orton was later granted a withheld adjudication for attempted burglary and sentenced to 18 months of probation in a plea deal.
Eskelin-Leaton was previously charged with a criminal traffic citation for reckless driving in 2022. Prosecutors filed the charge but later dropped it after Eskelin-Leaton submitted letters about vehicular homicides he read about and how it encourages him to drive safely.

